ModCloth's EXCLUSIVE collection of vintage-inspired, women's cute dresses include darling mini dresses, effortless maxi dresses, vintage-inspired swing dresses, babydoll dresses, cocktail dresses, romantic wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, and more.
ModCloth loves carrying a wide variety of silhouettes and a great selection of patterns and solids, but we are most proud of our abundance of sizes. From XXS, XS, S, M, L, 1X, 2X, 3X, and 4X, our dresses are for everyone
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF VINTAGE-INSPIRED DRESSES? Well, that depends on what era of fashion you feel like channeling today:
40’s fashion dresses: Classic a-line dresses, often with button-up detailing, short sleeves, lapel collars, and stylish belts at the high-rise waist are a timeless staple of 1940s women’s fashion. Midi dresses in floral prints, and vibrant solids (especially navy blue dresses) were all the rage during this era.
50’s fashion dresses: Rockabilly style began influencing fashion in the 1950’s, and this is the era when swing dresses, fit-and-flare dresses, and sleeveless midi dresses first made their debut! (Think Marilyn in her timeless, white halter-top dress). Tie-neck collars became a fashion must-have, and don’t forget the prints! Polka-dot dresses, plaid dresses, and deep emerald green dresses have been stealing hearts ever since.
60’s fashion dresses: In the 1960’s, all manners of mini dresses became mainstream! The babydoll dress, smock dresses with Peter Pan collars, off the shoulder dresses, belted shift dresses, shirred dresses, and FINALLY dresses with pockets! Bold floral print dresses, leopard print dresses, and colorblock dresses are still fashion hallmarks of this iconic era.
70’s fashion dresses: Flowy maxi dresses and kaftan dresses with bold geometric prints can be traced back to the 1970s fashion era. Pinafore dresses made a comeback in the 70’s, boho dresses first hit the scene, and the disco era made way for sequin dresses and velvet dresses.
80’s fashion dresses: Cute mini dresses reached new heights in the 1980’s, and metallic print dresses with puff sleeves and tulle overlay took over prom night! Neon dresses ruled the dance floor, and Madonna made us fall in love with black mesh dresses as well as dresses with ruffles upon ruffles.
- 90’s fashion dresses: Plaid mini skirts, and plaid dresses hit in a major way during the 1990s fashion era. Mock neck dresses and sheer dresses hit the red carpet, and nothing beat a floral slip dress layered under a flannel button-up top. Cute and casual sundresses, bodycon dresses, and color block dresses also show up in timeless 90’s fashion.
Whatever era in fashion you seek to inspire, ModCloth loves to support you with cute dresses in every size!
Women’s clothing for our ModCloth community is about variety and creative expression! ModCloth loves representing the perfect fit for every woman, especially in vintage-inspired styles that go above and beyond the status quo. ModCloth makes it fun and easy to express yourself in sizes ranging XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, 1X, 2X, 3X, and 4X.
Yes, we have all our favorite essential clothing basics that include relaxed-fit tees, leggings, tunics, cardigans, and stretchy denim jeans. ModCloth also has you covered with workwear essentials like sophisticated blazers, trousers, dresses, and button-up tops, but here’s how ModCloth goes beyond basic to showcase your retro-chic sensibilities:
- Era-based fashion so you can channel the art deco-inspired 1920s, classic pin-up vibes from the 1930’s, the mod 40’s, the rockabilly 50’s, retro 70’s vibes with high-rise, wide-leg pants and psychedelic prints, the neon 80’s, and the pop, punk, and goth movements of the 90’s!
- Exclusive collaborations with exciting brands like Hello Kitty, Barbie, Care Bears, Collectif, Princess Highway, and more!
- Hard-to-find options for vintage-inspired coats, jumpsuits, overalls, swing skirts, sleepwear, outerwear, and swimwear.
- SO MUCH to choose from in women’s dresses! Fit-and-flare dresses, swing dresses, maxi dresses, cocktail dresses, party dresses, mini dresses, babydoll dresses, shirt dresses, midi dresses, sweater dresses…and MOST of them have POCKETS!
- Our most popular women’s clothing styles offer exclusive hand-drawn prints that range from elegant to quirky with an emphasis on current trends. Whether you love cats, dogs, books, deep sea creatures, outerspace, dinosaurs, bunnies, bugs, bears, florals, rainbows, or reptiles, our talented design team is always coming up with unique ways for you to express yourself.
- Elegant dresses for special occasions including stunning wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, cocktail dresses, and evening gowns that are full of unique, vintage-inspired detailing.