Be inspired by ModCloth's EXCLUSIVE collection of vintage inspired, women's cute maxi dresses. Discover our most popular styles of dresses, which include effortless maxi dresses, vintage-inspired swing dresses, cocktail dresses, romantic wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, elegant gowns and more.
ModCloth loves carrying a wide variety of silhouettes and a great selection of patterns and solids, but we are most proud of our abundance of sizes. From XXS, XS, S, M, L, 1X, 2X, 3X, and 4X, our maxi dresses are for everyone.
WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENT TYPES OF VINTAGE-INSPIRED MAXI DRESSES? Well, that depends on what era of fashion you feel like channeling today:
40’s Maxi Dresses: Classic a-line maxi dresses, often with button-up detailing, short sleeves, lapel collars, and stylish belts at the high-rise waist are a timeless staple of 1940s women’s fashion. Maxi dresses in floral prints, and vibrant solids (especially navy blue maxi dresses) were all the rage during this era.
- 50’s Maxi Dresses: Rockabilly style began influencing fashion in the 1950’s, and this is the era when swing dresses, fit-and-flare dresses, and sleeveless maxi dresses first made their debut! Tie-neck collars became a fashion must-have, and don’t forget the prints! Polka-dot maxi dresses, plaid maxi dresses, and deep emerald green maxi dresses have been stealing hearts ever since.
- 60’s Maxi Dresses: In the 1960’s, all manners of maxi dresses became mainstream! The babydoll maxi dress, smock maxi dresses with Peter Pan collars, off the shoulder maxi dresses, belted midi dresses, shirred midi dresses, smocked midi dresses, and FINALLY midi dresses with pockets! Bold floral print maxi dresses, leopard print maxi dresses, and colorblock maxi dresses are still fashion hallmarks of this iconic era.
- 70’s Maxi Dresses: Flowy maxi dresses and kaftan dresses with bold geometric prints can be traced back to the 1970s fashion era. Pinafore dresses made a comeback in the 70’s, boho maxi dresses first hit the scene, and the disco era made way for sequin maxi dresses and velvet maxi dresses.
- 80’s Maxi Dresses: Cute mini dresses reached new heights in the 1980’s, and metallic print maxi dresses with puff sleeves and tulle overlay took over prom night! Neon maxi dresses ruled the dance floor, and Madonna made us fall in love with black mesh maxi dresses as well as maxi dresses with ruffles upon ruffles.
- 90’s Maxi Dresses: Plaid maxi skirts, and plaid maxi dresses came back in a major way during the 1990s fashion era. Mock neck maxi dresses and sheer maxi dresses hit the red carpet, and nothing beat a floral maxi slip dress layered under a flannel button-up top. Cute and casual sundresses, bodycon dresses, and color block dresses also show up in timeless 90’s era dresses
Whatever era in fashion you seek to inspire, we're here to support you with cute maxi dresses in every size!
Women’s clothing for our ModCloth community is about variety and creative expression! ModCloth loves representing the perfect fit for every woman, especially in vintage-inspired styles that go above and beyond the status quo. ModCloth makes it fun and easy to express yourself in sizes ranging XS, S, M, L, XL, XXL, 1X, 2X, 3X, and 4X.
Yes, we have all our favorite essential clothing basics that include relaxed-fit tees, leggings, tunics, cardigans, and stretchy denim jeans. ModCloth also has you covered with workwear essentials like sophisticated blazers, trousers, dresses, and button-up tops, but here’s how ModCloth goes beyond basic to showcase your retro-chic sensibilities:
Era-based fashion so you can channel the art deco-inspired 1920s, classic pin-up vibes from the 1930’s, the mod 40’s, the rockabilly 50’s, retro 70’s vibes with high-rise, wide-leg pants and psychedelic prints, the neon 80’s, and the pop, punk, and goth movements of the 90’s!
Exclusive collaborations with exciting brands like Hello Kitty, Barbie, Care Bears, Collectif, Princess Highway, and more!
Hard-to-find options for vintage-inspired coats, jumpsuits, overalls, swing skirts, sleepwear, outerwear, and swimwear.
SO MUCH to choose from in women’s dresses! Fit-and-flare dresses, swing dresses, maxi dresses, cocktail dresses, party dresses, mini dresses, babydoll dresses, shirt dresses, midi dresses, sweater dresses…and MOST of them have POCKETS!
Our most popular women’s clothing styles offer exclusive hand-drawn prints that range from elegant to quirky with an emphasis on current trends. Whether you love cats, dogs, books, deep sea creatures, outerspace, moon phases, stars, celestial, dinosaurs, bunnies, bugs, bears, florals, rainbows, or reptiles, our talented design team is always coming up with unique ways for you to express yourself.
Elegant dresses for special occasions including stunning wedding dresses, bridesmaid dresses, cocktail dresses, and evening gowns that are full of unique, vintage-inspired detailing.
So how do you feel like expressing yourself today? Are you feeling a bit kawaii? Cottagecore? Boho-chic? Feeling your goth streak? Or maybe you just want to wear something that lets everyone know how much you love your cat. Whatever you want in vintage-inspired women’s clothing, ModCloth is with you all the way. Come explore our latest women’s clothing collection now!